ILC Dover develops and manufactures a variety of inflatable habitats, airlocks, and shelters for use in earth orbit and lunar/planetary exploration.
Our engineers and technicians have built upon Wernher von Braun’s vision of inflatable space habitats, the work conducted by NASA in the 1960’s, and our own work in spacesuits and high-strength inflatable structures to create deployable habitats for space exploration.
Habitats for Space Exploration
Our inflatable habitats, airlocks, and shelters are for use in earth orbit and lunar/planetary exploration.
- Low earth orbit
- Cislunar space
- Surface of Moon and Mars
- Transportation system for going to Mars
- Airlock system performing an EVA
Features of Space Habitats
ILC Dover’s proven systems and processes ensure the level of quality, reliability, and safety required to meet spaceflight requirements. We perform the design, systems engineering, and manufacture and test of the habitats on-site or at remote locations. Leading features of our space habitats include:
- Lightweight and more compact to launch than a rigid habitat
- Expands to provide an area to live and work
- Provides environmental protection
- Capable of multiple operational pressures
- Incorporation of Structural Health Monitoring Internal hardware mounting and partition capability